Wednesday, June 2, 2010


As we sit here in the dark, gathered just inside the cemetery at midnight, our guest of honor joins us from a misty area at the edge of the woods, making her way around the headstones to come sit beside me on the cement bench outside one of the large family tombs. “I’d like to thank all of you for joining us here in the cemetery to meet Shiloh Darke who writes paranormal romance. Shiloh, thanks so much for taking the time to talk with us, although this isn’t my first choice to hold an interview with you.


“I’d also like to let everyone know about one of your books I’ve recently started titled Magic’s Reflection. Since I don’t normally read paranormal, it intrigued me as I kept turning the pages. The main character’s father has had a spell cast on him and he is forced to live inside an antique mirror for years before someone with special powers finds out that he is living inside the mirror. I haven’t gotten far in the book but I will continue to read it and let everyone know to come back later and read my review of it for you.”

Shiloh:  Deanna, thank you for doing that for me. I appreciate that since you don’t normally read that genre.








Deanna:  I look forward to the review. Tell us a bit about YOU as a person that your readers might not know.

Shiloh:  I’m so glad you agreed to meet me here in the cemetery, and at midnight no less, but it makes for a better atmosphere for what I write. Gosh, I am so much better at talking about my characters than I am myself. Honestly, is there ANYONE out there more boring? I work in Healthcare. I’m married with two children. Or, scratch that… One child, and one teenager who already knows everything(sound familiar to anyone?)

 I died once in a car accident when I was a teenager myself, and went through a summer of hell while I was in and out of the hospital too many times to count with a broken back.

 Honestly, my life is a case of melodrama, and I much prefer to talk about the lives of my characters.

Deanna: *dodging a bat that swooped to close*  What happened in your life that made you want to become a writer?

Shiloh:  Well, as I hinted above, I have gone through many things in my life. Some of it is sad, some of it is good, and all of it is a part of LIFE.

There are so many things going on in this world and so much of it is depressing. When I write, I want my readers to be able to use my stories as a kind of escape. Think of it as a short vacation from all the hassles of the everyday world.
We all have our stresses. My stories are meant to relieve some of that stress.
 
Deanna:  Is there a certain type of character that is easier to write than another?

Shiloh:  LOL… Yes. Characters are all different. Just like real people. Some are like open books. They open up and give you a full view of who they are and what they believe in.

Others are more secretive. The bad guys in my books are harder to get into. I have trouble making someone completely ruthless. I guess it’s because I am a true believer in the idea that there is good in everyone, even though I do believe Evil is in this world.

 Deanna: *wolves howl in the distance and I peek behind me*   Do you read in the same genre that you write in?

Shiloh:  (Giggling like crazy!) YES!!! And no… Sherrilyn Kenyon is one of my favorites, along with Christine Feehan and Stephanie Meyer. I believe it is wise to keep informed of what other writers in your genre are doing so that you can keep your stories different from theirs.

But, I am also a fan of JK Rowling, Jane Austen, Anne Rice, Clive Barker, Dean Koontz, Charlotte Bronte, and Brahm Stoker, just to name a few. I like to think I am well rounded as both a reader and a writer.

Deanna:  How do you come up with your story ideas?

Shiloh:  Well, my Eternals series came from a mixture of dreams I had when I was a teenager. Actually, it was amazing. For several years, my dreams were filled with stories that were full of adventure, romance, comedy and drama, all tied together because the heroes and heroines I dreamt of were all a part of a group. I wrote these dreams down. Almost like a journal, if you will. The result is quite extensive.

Other stories come to me in different ways. An idea I may get when I am watching a movie, or reading a book. Almost like an idea of, what if this happened instead, or what if they did this instead of that? And what if the character was Werewolf, Spirit, Angel, Vampire, or Magical instead of human?

Sometimes my ideas can even come from the weather. A thunderstorm, the way the lightening streaks across the sky or the beauty of the stars on a clear night. My ideas come in endless ways.

Deanna:  Do you listen to specific music when you write?

Shiloh:  Yes. I use hard rock/heavy metal when I write fight scenes. I use easy listening/love songs for love scenes. And music like Enya and Yanni and others that are similar for just overall writing.

Deanna:  *the moon slips out into the open sky from behind a cloud and illuminates our area, though now we can see more bats as they flutter in the trees around us*   Did you always want to be a writer?

Shiloh:  Actually, when I was younger, I wanted to be a singer. I took voice lessons and I still love to sing. But, I have seen the lives of such Stars these days. I am too private a person to go through what they do. I would prefer for the characters in my stories to be the stars. I’ll just write about them.

Deanna:  Why did you choose the genre you did?

Shiloh: *peeking over her shoulder for orbs floating around*  I have always been fascinated with the paranormal. Ghost stories, gargoyles, vampires, things that go bump in the night excite me. I enjoy stories that get your pulse up and racing, almost like sitting here with all of you! I know your hearts are racing too, hoping we get out of this interview safely. Don’t worry, my Eternals are watching out for us.

 I also love romance. Beauty and the Beast is my all time favorite story. What better elements of Beauty and the Beast can you find than with a vampire cursed to live forever alone, or a Ghost that can be seen, but never touched?
  
Deanna:  If you were to offer any advice to anyone out there who wants to be a writer as well, what would you say?

Shiloh:  First off, carry a journal/notebook with you everywhere. Keep it by your bed. Whenever an idea strikes, jot it down. Sometimes it isn’t ONE specific idea, but a group of ideas that fit together to make a story.

Next, If you really want to write, PRACTICE. Pay attention to the Authors you enjoy reading. Watch their styles as you work to build your own.

Then, if you love to write, don’t let anyone sway you. Once you are happy with what you are writing, stick to it. Believe in yourself and you will succeed.

Deanna:  Where can readers find you and your books?

Shiloh:  I have my main website at www.theorderofeternals.com and my blog is at http://minds-eye.ning.com/profile/ShilohDarke. I can also be found on Facebook and MySpace. I love to hear from readers, as any author does, so I look forward to hearing from those who read me.

Deanna:  Shiloh, thank you so much for spending this time with us. Please stick around in case some of the readers have any questions.

6 comments:

  1. Great interview, Shiloh! My sister works in health care as well. It's a tough field, but we need people who can do it. Thank goodness for you guys!

    Also, good advice for aspiring authors. Practice is the key.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading this interview. Saw the "JK Rollings." Do you mean JK Rowling?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dawn and Aubrie, thank you so much for joining us in the cemetery today! Especially thank you for helping us correct the JK Rowling!! Correction made, thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview, you two! Are there any interesting headstones in there?

    I love old graveyards. Here in Halifax, there's one with a very old headstone that reads 'Here lies---, murdered by--- on suc and such a date. You'd expect the killer to be buried next to him. There's a story in the making!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi all! Thanks so much for checking out my interview.

    Jennie, I agree! That would be quite a story! LOL..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice interview, Shiloh. As usual, I'm a little behind on visiting and commenting, but at least I got here, right?

    BTW, you can also buy Shiloh's books online at http://www.gypsyshadow.com/Shiloh.html

    ReplyDelete