Sunday, June 10, 2012

Charmaine Gordon - Romantic Suspense



Charmaine Gordon
Romantic Suspense

Deanna:  Readers, thank you for stopping in to read about Charmaine's books. I'm please to have her back for a third time as she releases yet another book! Please be sure to visit her blog and roam thru her pages there! Charmaine, welcome back! What advice do you have for new, aspiring authors?

Charmaine:  My advice to upcoming authors is to write the best story they know how, edit with care yet be merciless trimming the fat. Then research publishers, agents, editors, anyone who might be interested in your story. Read submission qualifications carefully. If you don’t fit, don’t bother them. Then write a killer query letter, short to grab someone’s attention. Same thing with a synopsis. You thought writing the book was hard? Duh! Now comes the serious part. As for rejections, develop a tough hide. No biggie. Move on. Never give up and don’t quit your day job.

Deanna:  Has anything in your life helped with your writing?

Charmaine:  My acting experience helps me a lot in creating characters. Names float into my head along with fully fleshed out people. Same thing with painting in the scenery. Background sounds, taste, all the senses.

Deanna:  That had to be an exciting time in your life. I can’t even imagine! What would you say is your strong point in writing?

Charmaine:  I’m good with dialogue, having read a zillion scripts. I may have mentioned that often I sleep-write. A story comes in the night; in the morning, I write.

Deanna:  I have characters come to me but can’t say I’ve ever dreamt about a book I’m writing. How long does it take to write a first draft?

Charmaine:  Takes about four months to write when I stick to a thousand words a day and life doesn’t interfere.

Deanna:  That’s the hard part…not letting life interfere! Do you have a favorite hero that you’ve written?

Charmaine: Maverick in To Be Continued is a fine hunk of a man. Tall, rugged, talented, so clever with his hands. Yum.

Deanna:  Tell us about your latest release and share a bit about it.

Charmaine: Sin of Omission is my latest book. An interracial romance /suspense. In the previous book, Reconstructing Charlie, two characters demanded more attention. I’m just a girl who can’t say no and I began to write. Interracial is complex, more than the average tale of lovers. I dug deep, listened to someone who knows and continued. The story takes place in a fictional small town north of Chicago. There’s a bad guy, a bad woman, love, family, complications all over the place and maybe, just maybe, a happy ever after. I’m not telling. Enjoy the journey. I ask readers of my Survive & Thrive books to open your hearts and minds and enjoy this romance filled with love and suspense.


Blurb:
Seems easy enough. Jimmy Costigan will deliver supplies to sister Charlie’s project Haven, a respite for the needy, and leave. Simple.
    Instead, Shelley Jackson answers the door, says she needs him and soft-hearted Jimmy stays to protect the family seeking refuge from a sociopath. He didn’t count on falling in love.
A twist of fate intervenes when Shelley keeps a secret that threatens to break apart the Costigans and her future. A mysterious client, Deanna Rose, enters Haven, victim of a savage beating under strange circumstances. Using Internet resources, Shelley digs in to find Ms. Rose has an unsavory past.
With the reputation and safety of Haven at stake, Shelley is at risk to lose everything … and everyone she cares about.

Excerpt:
The past has a way of catching up and like his sister Charlie, Jimmy had carried a secret for a long time. He stormed down the hall, anger rising with each boot step. Too bad. He’d hoped he and Shelley might at least have some laughs together. Hat crushed between both hands, he headed toward the door.
“You’re not leaving,” Shelley said.
“I’m uh…I need some air.”
Grabbing a fistful of his shirt, Shelley said, “Jimmy, it’s ten o’clock. I need you to stay all night. Please. Go in the morning. I’ll call for help. Maybe Charlie can. . .”
“I’ll be right outside for a few minutes,” he said facing the door. “My guitar’s in the jeep and a travel bag.” Opening the door, a warm night breeze blew in. “Full moon tonight.”
Shelley stepped out next to him. High heels off, she reached Jimmy’s shoulder. He glanced down at her upturned face as she gazed at the moon. Her chocolate skin sparkled with moonlight. He forced himself to look away from this magnificent woman, far too special for a guy like him.
“The rocking chairs are moving back and forth in the gazebo,” she said, her voice soft and mellow. “That’s a good omen about the Haven.”
“Oh yeah?” Don’t even know how to make small talk. “I was thinkin’, kids need pets and I’m gonna build a dog run on the side and maybe get a couple of horses. Build a small stable and riding ring and make a trail. What do you think?”
She smiled up at him. “Great idea. We’ll find out if anyone has allergies first so wait ‘til tomorrow, okay? Get your gear and let’s have a drink before calling it a night. There’s a bottle of red, a bottle of white.”
He sang, “It all depends upon your appetite.”
“Early Billy Joel.” Shelley loved his music.
“Oh yeah. Do you have Dr. Pepper?”
“Is this a deal breaker?”
“Nope. I don’t drink. Just Dr. Pepper.”
“I’ll take a look.” She sashayed toward the pantry. After a quick look, she said, “No Dr. Pepper. Juice, water, soda, chocolate syrup, soups, Jell-O. We’ll get some tomorrow.”
He displayed a pouty lower lip.
With a stern look, she said, “Get over it, Jim. You’re not leaving here.”
“I’m not?”
“I said before, I need you. Just get your gear and we’ll lock up, turn on the security system.”
His loose limbed body swaggered to the jeep to haul out his gear.
Alone for a moment, Shelley wondered when he got to be a hunk, so unlike intense Detective Patrick Donnelly, her off again-on again lover.
Locking the door Jimmy set his gear down. She gave him the security code and Haven was safe.
He settled his tall frame next to her on the couch and stretched out long legs.


Deanna:  Great excerpt and blurb! Wow! I love that so much is going on! If you could get away right now, where would that be?

Charmaine:  Give me a beach with gentle waves lapping at the shore, palm trees swaying, a hottie by my side; mischief afoot!

Deanna:  What do you love to do to relax?

Charmaine:  Not too much relaxing here. My grandest granddaughter age 4 is the light of my life. Funny, smart, she takes care of Granny, that’s me, aware of fragility surgery has wrought this past year.
      My only daughter is an inspiration. Feisty as a youngster making sure the older brothers listened when she spoke, now she’s a teacher guiding middle school kids into a bright future.





Deanna:  Charmaine, thank you so much for being here this week. I love to share your books with my readers!

Charmaine: Thank you, Deanna. It’s always a pleasure being in your company.


Monday June 11 

Sin of Omission will be available in print, Amazon and B&N. 
The ebook copies are available right now.


 

CONTEST:  The most interesting comment will win a e-copy of Sins of Omission on Saturday, June 16th!


2 comments:

  1. Funny you call Sin of Omission part of the Reconstructing Charlie series; seems to me it's part of the Reconstructing Charmaine series, after the year you've had, my friend! Here is wishing you well, and that the book soars to the top of the charts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Smoky, you do have a way with words. Years, you say? I still don't know what I'll be when I grow up. Thanks for stopping by. You're a ray of sunshine.

    ReplyDelete