Saturday, March 28, 2009

Why we read....

When I read, I want a mini vacation. I want to be taken away from my everyday world and whatever problems I might have on a given day. Maybe to experience something in another country. To see the people from another's point of view.

I read so that I can visit the world of the author and see where they can take me. Some authors write so smooth you don't realize you're even turning the pages and before you know it, you're deep in their created world, enjoying the characters and feeling what they feel, smelling what they smell, whether it's the smoke from a crackling bon fire at night or the scent of sagebrush that's been rubbed between your fingers. It could be the damp earth one smells while walking through the woods on a tropical island, colorful birds cawing overhead and the screech of monkeys jumping from branch to branch. Maybe the characters are walking on a warm sandy beach in the afternoon, enjoying each wave as it washes over their feet with the refreshing coolness of the ocean as the sand filters between their toes.

Whatever the world, it's different from my own and takes me there if the writer has done their job. I strive very hard to pull my readers into my world and become the character, to enjoy the thrill of falling in love again, or seeing old friends you've missed, or discovering something mysterious and figuring out what happens. I want you to want to keep reading. I hope you can't put down my books and will one day reread the story.

Next time you pick up a book, I hope it takes you to another world that you can get lost in and enjoy! It should tug at your memory weeks after you've finished it. That's the joy of reading and that's what I want my readers to feel.

Thank you for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you. Until next time, happy reading!

Deanna