Thursday, June 24, 2010

Author Interview - Patricia A Rasey

 Congratulations to the Winner:

Brandlwyne

...Officer, please let them through, they're part of our investigation team. Thank you...Sorry about all that. I'm glad you could make it, Ms. Rasey is right over here and anxious to meet you.

I want to thank all of you for joining us today. Oops, watch the evidence tags, they're everywhere. I'd like to introduce Ms. Patricia A. Rasey, suspense author and today, our investigative lead. She and I have been friends for many years and though we don't live close anymore, we stay in touch with each other. Pat, thank you so much for joining us today, it's a pleasure to have such a talented author here.



A bit about Ms. Rasey: 


Ms. Rasey is a three-time recipient of the Word Weaving Award for Literary Excellence and a three-time winner of the prestigious RIO Award of Excellence. She is also a three-time EPPIE finalist and was a 2001 nominee for Romantic Times Magazine's Best Electronic Book. Additionally, Twilight Obsessions and Twilight Visions, two anthologies she was a part of, was nominated for the PEARL, the Paranormal Excellence Award in Romantic Literature, in the Best Anthology category. Her short story, In The Mind of Darkness won the P and E 2002 Horror short story category. 





Ms. Rasey's work includes the novels... 

-- Deadly Obsession (currently not available).
-- Kiss of Deceit.
-- Facade.
-- The Hour Before Dawn, sequel to the best-selling Deadly Obsession (currently not available).
-- Eyes Of Betrayal, sequel to the best-selling Kiss Of Deceit.
-- Love You to Pieces (not yet published).
-- Lawfully Yours, her first historical romance.
-- Eternally Yours, sequel to Lawfully yours.
-- Dark Savior.
...As well as the novellas and award winning short story...
-- Fear the Dark
-- Sanitarium
-- In the Mind of Darkness

Deanna: Way back when we were critiquing together, I loved the way you wrote from the killer's point of view. It immediately drew the reader in. For those who haven't read Pat's books, you're definitely missing a good read. Pat, tell us a bit about YOU as a person, something that your readers might not know.

Patricia:  I’ve been writing since 1992, and finally saw my first publication in 1999. I wrote short stories in school and had always hoped to one day see my stories in print. I have been actively writing ever since, but I do work full time as well. It’s hard some days to juggle writing, working and the home life, but someday I do hope to make enough money at writing to quit the day job.

While in school, I was always the kid that got picked last in gym class, not real popular…and pretty darn quiet until I hit my junior and senior years when I started breaking out of my shell. After school, I got married and started a family right away. My oldest son, like me, lacked confidence in himself and was also the last kid picked in gym. I decided to get him confidence and enrolled him in Karate taught by my cousin. After he took it a few years, his confidence rose tremendously, and my cousin talked me into taking it myself…I am now a third degree black belt, but unfortunately I no longer teach. It became too hard to fit it all in. Now I am a huge fan of MMA fighting and the UFC.

Deanna:  Did anything happen in your life that made you want to become a writer?

Patricia:  I can’t say that anything happened to make me decide to write. My earliest memory is a neighbor and I decided to create a story. We bought a notebook and we would each take turns writing part of the story, then give it to the other person. I can still remember the basis of that story today. It was a great outlet for my daydreams, so it seemed natural when after discovering reading that I thought: ‘I can do this.’ I started my first historical romance and the rest is history. By the way…no one will ever see that first written novel. We will call it my trial period.

Deanna:   Is there a certain type of character that is easier to write than another?

Patricia:  Believe it or not, I enjoy writing the alpha males and the villains. For some reason, it seems natural to be in their heads. A while back, I had a published friend who told me I should try my hand at suspense. She was correct…I never turned back after writing my first romantic suspense. Comedic characters? Now there is a character type I don’t find easy to write…but I love to read those types of books.

Deanna:   Do you read in the same genre you write?

Patricia:  Yes and no. I tend to read contemporary romance books and love the ones with humor. As I said above, I likely could never pull that off myself. I do read some romantic suspense. But because my head lives in a dark world, I love to read outside that genre to lighten things up for me. Some of my favorite authors, though, are romantic suspense such as Sandra Brown, Tami Hoag, Lisa Jackson and I could go on.

Officer to the crowd beyond the taped area:  PLEASE STEP AWAY FROM THE CRIME SCENE!

Deanna:   You’ve written a few books that seem to be part of a series: Deadly Obsession and The Hour Before Dawn, Kiss of Deceit and Eyes of Betrayal, even Façade was left open to possibly pursue a sequel. Any future plans for these books?

Patricia:  Deadly Obsession is the first suspense I ever wrote.  A few years later I revisited that book and added more of the vampirism into it and thoroughly enjoyed creating that world. I would love to revisit that series and create a third book giving the character Damien his own book and bring back some of those beloved characters.

The same with Kiss of Deceit and Eyes of Betrayal. The world of outlaw motorcycle clubs is a huge fascination for me. I cannot get enough of the research. I do intend to write a third book and have an undercover agent infiltrate the biker gang I created in Eyes called the Lords of Lucifer. So yes, I do intend a third book in that series as well.

As for Façade, I recently finished a book entitled Love You to Pieces that is not connected to Façade, but the sequel to it, will also be the sequel to Charred Remains which I am currently writing. Shar and KC from Façade return as the hero/heroine in the new book. Love You to Pieces is a pretty dark world of sexual fetishes and I am still looking to seek publication for that work.

So yes, I do have plenty of ideas in the works for those books you mentioned.

Deanna:  Speaking of Deadly Obsession and The Hour Before Dawn, these books are not currently available. Any news that your readers might be able to purchase this series again?

Patricia:  I am hoping to find a new press for both of these works. I am actively seeking representation for them, but no news yet. Stay tuned on my website: www.PatriciaRasey.com I’ll post any news about those re-releases there. I am definitely hopeful that they will be released again someday.

Deanna:   I see that you have also published in the historical romance genre. Any chance you’ll revisit that market?

Patricia:  Never say never, but at this point I don’t anticipate writing in the historical market again. I had fun writing those three books: Dark Savior, Lawfully Yours, and Eternally Yours, and I definitely loved some of those characters. But at this time, I don’t foresee me returning to that type of writing. I think my voice is much stronger in the suspense/thriller side of things.

Deanna:   Yes, you have a very strong voice for those books. Who was your favorite hero to write and why?

Patricia:  I loved writing Egan ‘Villian’ Tate in Eyes of Betrayal. Not that I didn’t like all my heroes, but I think the whole outlaw biker thing makes for the ultimate bad boy. And who doesn’t want a bad boy, right? Bikers have their own code of justice.

It’s up to Dr. Whit Montgomery to tame him. But their two worlds are extreme opposites…her job is to save people and he’s killed before. Whitney has a lot or prejudice to overcome before settling in with her bad boy.

Officer:  Ms. Rasey, we need to you to move your team back just a bit, please. We need more room here. Thank you!

Deanna:   This is exciting to be able to be on the scene of an investigation. Once we all get moved out of their way, do you have any advice for the novice writer?

Patricia:  Never give up. I was once told by a friend that so many people have success waiting just around the corner, but they never realize it because they give up before ever realizing it. My fear is to quit the business because of the extreme work load placed on my shoulders, and losing my opportunity waiting around the bend.

There are all levels of success, too. The first and foremost…finishing that novel to begin with. Anyone can start a book. Not everyone will finish it. Then don’t stop there…while searching for that contract, start another novel. I had six full completed manuscripts written before I ever sold my first book. When I finally got that contract, I was able to sell the rest. Well, except for that first one we talked about earlier. That’s one for my eyes only.

And at each level of success, there is always a next step. Never stop learning, growing, and moving forward. Somewhere, someone is going to like your work.

Deanna:   So what’s next for Patricia A. Rasey?

Patricia:  As I said, I am currently writing Charred Remains. I stalled on it…dallied with the idea of writing a paranormal vampire book/series, and now I think I may just return to Charred Remains. Not that I don’t like the vampire idea…but I just think my voice is stronger in the thriller genre. I had a good friend read the open to both books and she agreed…stick with what I know.

I’d really like to get an agent, so I am working hard on that angle. I’m hoping to catch a bigger publisher’s eye. That’s the dream of every author, right? Cross your fingers…

Deanna:  Pat, thank you so much for being here today. I miss you and wish we had more time to spend chatting but though the miles separate us, I'm so glad we stay in touch.


Readers, feel free to leave a comment for Pat, chat with her a bit and for those who do leave a comment, she will draw a winner Saturday morning for a signed copy of Facade! Thank you all for stopping by. Officers may need to question a few of you before you leave so please cooperate with them. Thanks again. Pat, they're all yours...


29 comments:

  1. Hi everyone! Welcome to the party! HHmmm....is it wrong to have a tailgate party from the back of the blazer at the crime scene?? LOL At least it's a FIRST! You have to give me that!

    Have fun, leave comments and chat with Pat, I think she went to talk with the Chief of Police, she'll be right back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Deanna...thanks for having me. I do appreciate it. and yes...we have been friends from way back. We won't go to the year as that tells our ages. :-)

    Please do comment and ask questions! I'll be happy to answer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Pat! Hope your day is getting better now that work is over.

    Did you make it thru all the crime scene tape and past the officers ok? LOL - Nice place for an interview though.

    The party and interview needs to liven up here a bit. I'm wondering around passing out fliers for others to join us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Deanna,
    Thanks for the invite to hop on over here and check out another author.

    Hi Patricia,
    WOW, you have quite the list of published works. I do believe I am about to add more to my TBR pile. I am glad that I am not the only one who is a fan of MMA and UFC :)
    Good luck on catching the eye of a bigger publisher.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Patricia! I love your stuff! You shouldn't have any problem finding an agent. I recently finished "Fear the Dark" and just wish it had been longer. I didn't want it to end!
    I love the title "Charred Remains". It brings up vivid images.
    The best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Howdy... You are a new author to me but I have to say your books sound awesome! Deadly Obsession really sounds good WHEN will it be available again? And was it in print or ebook? Thank you for doing the interview!!!

    Brandy
    brandyzbooks@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL, Sorry I had a blonde moment about when Deadly Obsession will be out again... Been a long day!!!

    Brandy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Deanna. Thanks for inviting over here. Patricia you are a new author to me. I love finding new books and authors. I really enjoyed your post today. Your books sound really good. Adding them to my to read list.
    Sue B
    katsrus(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't forget to grab your refreshments from the back of the blazer. Lots of cold stuff on ice here!

    As long as we stay out of the investigators way, they won't mind us being here so we can chat as long as we want. I'm thinking we might be here all night and into Friday.

    I hope everyone has a good time and be sure to ask Pat any questions you might have. Thanks for stopping by and I hope you've added a new author to your list! She great at what she does and knows her stuff for crime scenes.

    *pulling out a Smirnoff Ice, drying off the bottle* I know there's an opener here somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, *yadkny*...how are you? Thanks for stopping by and watching out for the crime scene tape. ;-) I am a huge MMA fan. I love the martial arts. I'm a third degree black belt in karate--so that probably helps my love of the sport. Who's your fav fighter? Mine is Hendo...although he hasn't been doing so well.

    If you do get a chance to read any of my books, I hope you enjoy them. Again--thanks for stopping by! And thanks as well for the good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, Tracie...glad you liked Fear the Dark! Thanks for saying you love my work. Brings a smile to my face and warms my soul!

    I plan to send out in force to agents regarding Love You to Pieces...so hopefully it sells. Then I can finish Charred Remains. Glad you liked the title!

    Thanks for taking the time to come by!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Barndlwyn! Thanks for stopping by. Glad my books sound good. I do hope so. I always worry about what people will think. I do have a dark mind.

    As for Deadly Obsession...no worries on the blonde moment--I have them ALL the time! Besides...it's a legit question. I have been seeking publication for them. Not sure what I plan to do yet--but I may release them through Amber Quill Press in the future. It seems to be the one book, that and it's sequel The Hour Before Dawn that people ask about. But I will shout it from the roof tops when it's back on the shelves.

    Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate you taking the time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, katsrus...Sue B. Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad you enjoyed the interview. I always thing I am boring people to death. :-)

    Thanks for adding me to your reading list! I do hope you like my work if you get a change to read it!

    Again...thanks for stopping!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey, Deanna...it was tough getting past the crime scene tape. Those officers aren't always agreeable about us little folks disturbing their scene! ;-) Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was wondering since you wrote historical if there could be a blend of historical and thriller/suspense. Both are my favorites :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, catslady...I have never blended tg two. Although there is a bit of a suspense or mystry going on in Dark Savior, Lawfully Yours and Eternally Yours, I would not call them thrillers in the least. I didn't discover my love for the dark side until after writing those.

    And I am with you...I love them all. Thanks for stopping!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sorry, I should proofread my posts--that should be 'blended the two.' Ugh! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great Interview. Cann't wait to add to my summer reading list. I live in a house full of cops BTW. Yeah! FULL of them. Hubby, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, and uncle. Somehow I still manage!!

    Ann
    Ann_stewart79@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. A day late, sorry!

    A BIG HI to Patricia, my "ONWARDS" friend! Soooo glad to hear about the writing progress. I have to tell everyone that your heroes are the absolute BEST! No one can write an Alpha like you can!

    Loved the Interview!

    HUGS and ONWARDS dear friend!
    Kari Thomas, www.authorkari.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Patricia,
    I just checked Amazon and they have 9 of your titles in stock. One of them is going for nearly 60 bucks used! You are in demand! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi, Ann...lots of cops in the family! My brother is one and hopefully my son one day. He's been through the acadamey, has his degree in criminal law...just no positions open in our area. They are laying off. :-/

    If you get a chance to read my books, I do hope you enjoy them! Glad you enjoyed the interview. I always worry about be boring. LOL Thanks for stopping by!! I appreciate you taking the tome!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Aw...thanks for the HUGE compliment, Kari! You aren't a day late. We're still playing here. BTW everyone...Kari's a wonderful author as well!! Her and I go back a few years. :-) She is my ONWARDS buddy...we make sure we keep writing.

    Thank you so much for stopping Kari!! Keep in touch, hon!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey, Tracie...thanks for checking. Yeah--that would be Deadly Obsession. Unbelievabke they would ask that much for my work. I guess it's because it's the book you can't get right now. But it will be out again someday....hopefully. LOL

    Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am off to work again...busy weekend. LOL But I will stop back in before heading to the campgrounds tonight. I'll be drawing the winner of my free book tomorrow...I extended it one day since I'm at the campgrounds this weekend...well, most every weekend. LOL

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you all for stopping by!! I do appreciate it. I have drawn a winner of my book...and will email Deanna to announce it. Again--thank you all for taking the time to stop by and read my interview. I really appreciate it!

    Hugs--

    ReplyDelete
  26. Pat, thanks so much for joining us for this interview. We had a great time and a few readers found themselves a new author which is why I love doing these interviews. I hope you all had fun. Be sure to book mark Patricia's website so you can keep tabs on what's happening with her books and her upcoming release, Charred Remains. I know it'll be another exciting, edge-of-your-seat read! We wish you the best in getting a publisher's attention; you'll be an asset to their team!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for having me, Deanna...you have been a great friend for years! We just won't say how long! LOL Tells our age. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Yaaa me.... Sorry to much Disney channal, I am soo glad I won, super excited!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congrats, Brandlwyne...I hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete