Monday, July 26, 2010











Thank you for stopping in to visit with us in the garden where we're talking with Kim Upstone, owner of A New Day A New Vision, which is not only the name of her company, but her life's philosophy. Kim believes that each new day we can create a new vision for ourselves, home and environment. As an author, motivational speaker and intuitive designer she resides with her family in Scottsdale, Arizona. With a background in interior design and interest into the effects of environment upon individuals, accreditation in staging and feng shui soon followed. In addition, she has studied  neuro- architecture. Her first book Step by Step To Sold and Feng Shui to Sell are reflections of those principals. Both books were written as guide for home sellers looking to prepare their home by combining Feng Shui and Staging techniques.

Feng Shui for Special Needs, her second book, is given out as a free e-book for people with life and learning challenges. Based on her personal experience, the books help those who work with special needs children and adults to make enhancements to their environments all in an effort to allow them to flourish.

Her new book All I Want Is Everything released in December 2009 is drawn from her life’s journey of searching how to find her everything and learning to dance in the storm. All I Want Is Everything is a guide to help women reclaim happiness and peace in the search for their everything.

Deanna:  Kim, tell us a bit about your philosophy. I love your concept!

Kim:  Thank you for having me here today, Deanna. I'm excited to be able to share so much with your readers. When you pick up my books, there are a few questions you should ask yourself. What do you want from your life? Do you want to discover for yourself what your everything is and then be able to live each day of your life with happiness and joy no matter what the circumstances. Do you want to have each day a realization of the gift you have been given to be here. Do you want to create for yourself the vision of who you want to be?

I wanted everything, too and from the outside, it appeared that I had everything, a loving husband and two beautiful healthy children and strong faith. I have great house and all the things that go along with it. But even with all of those things I still felt something was missing. There was piece to the puzzle I needed to find. If I could locate that missing part I would then be complete and happy. 

My search led me to look in many different directions, mostly outside of myself for the answers. It wasn’t until out of desperation I asked for guidance and received it that I learned all the answers were all within me waiting to be discovered.

All I Want Is Everything, A Guide to Love, Peace and Happiness is my journey to find my everything. What I found was so much more than I could have ever hoped for. They were the questions that lead me to the answers only I could answer. What I have created is a guide for your journey. Questions for you to answer that will lead you to your everything.  You too can discover the secrets hidden safely, waiting inside for you to choose to bring them into the light.

Deanna: What a beautiful way to look at life and what you want. Tell us a bit about YOU that your readers might not know.

Kim:  Well if we begin with what I am, you can say that I am married, mother of two grown children, I care for my sister who is special needs and Frank our cocker spaniel. My professional background in intuitive design and feng shui lead me to write my first book Step By Step To Sold. Which is a step by step guide to preparing your home for sale using Staging and Feng Shui .

If you want to know who I am that is a different story. I am all those things wife and mother etc. My life was blessed with things that from the outside would appear was everything you would need to be happy and fulfilled. I found myself searching for something, a missing piece. I believed that piece, once I found it, held the key to all the answers, those answers once discovered would allow me to feel complete and happy. My latest book “All I Want Is … Everything, A Guide to Love, Peace and Happiness” is my journey to find “my everything” but it is also a guide for others to follow. Through journaling and contemplation it can help them find their “everything” too.

Deanna:  How did you come up with the name of your company A New Day A New Vision?

Kim:  It is my life philosophy. I believe that every one of us can create a new vision of who we want to be each day and then work to become it. No matter our age, wealth or status the sun will rise each morning. It is a gift we are given, another day on this earth and even though today may not have been so good, the sun will rise again tomorrow and you will have another opportunity to begin again.  

Deanna:  You've certainly filled your life with love and empowerment. What do you like to do when you're not writing?

Kim:  I love to do so many things it’s hard to pick a few, but I’ll try. I love to blog, I get to add humor and sarcasm and that is always fun. I love to sew, quilts and baby caps for newborns in South Africa. I also love to nap. I’m sure it’s inherited, I have heard about many generations of my family needing an afternoon rest. I don’t get to nap each day but when I do I really enjoy it!

Deanna: What happened that made you want to become a writer?

Kim:  I wrote my first two books as a result of a constant stream of requests by realtors and homeowners to teach them how to transform their houses.

I realized after both my son and daughter began asking questions about why we are different in our thinking and attitude than other people and families they were meeting. It was then that I realized my children had lived almost their entire life in the brightness of the light from what I learned on my journey, but they did not know about my journey. So “All I Want” really began as a letter to my children. It was important for me to explain it to them, so that they could share with their children. They needed to understand how to get back to the trail, should they ever lose their way.

After writing that letter to my children it occurred to me that that writing this series of books would be the fulfillment of the guidance I had received. The trail being my original journey and the path writing the books for others to share, a trail to happiness for those who choose to venture with me.

Deanna: What does your family think of your writing?

Kim:  My husband is a pretty successful sports writer and believe it or not, we are not into telling each other how wonderful we are. We just do what we think is best for ourselves and can serve the world at the same time. That is what propels us forward; it became our motivation. It’s hard to understand but those of you who have worked through this first book can grasp what I am trying to explain. When the ego is not involved and you know that you are loved and that you can love unconditionally, everything becomes uncomplicated and purpose and passion becomes your inspiration. 

Deanna: Do you write under a pen name?

Kim:  No, it’s all just under my name.

Deanna:  Do you read in the same genre that you write in?

Kim:  I love any book that inspires and motivates me. I am reading Jack Canfield’s Success Principals again right now.

Deanna:  Do you write on a computer or with pen and paper?

Kim:  I write with notebook paper and a pen by hand, but I always write the width of the paper across the lines from edge to edge and I don’t spend any time worry about spelling and punctuation. I have my reader’s journal the same way. I think for conventional thinkers it puts you a bit uncomfortable and forces you to think outside the box slightly. When writing from emotion it feels better and gets to the heart much quicker than worrying about being proper and staying within the lines. 

Deanna:  What was the hardest part about writing this book?

Kim:  This book was a very personal experience for me. It was very painful to reread all my old journals, written prior to and then during my journey, but it was an important part of being able to create that path for others to follow. To go back and see how the darkness of unhappiness and negativity encompassed my world at that time was a sobering experience. What if I had not asked for guidance or missed the message the angel delivered to me, I understood quickly that my life would have been very different than the life I have lived.

Deanna: Is there a message in your book you want readers to grasp?

Kim:  I hope they embrace as much as they are ready to grasp.

If there was one thing in particular I would hope that everyone understands is that nothing of value comes free or naturally. It all takes work. Happiness, a peaceful heart, love, great relationships, raising children that are wonderful citizens of the world, these are all things that take hard work. These are also things that we were never given a guide for. We end up just repeating what we have seen our parents do or living day to day dealing with the results. This is the result of not having a clear direction, life without a map and compass. The work you will do is not physical work but mental work with awareness of the choices you are making.

I also want them to see that all the hard work they do in these areas of their life also creates great value for these very things. It is much harder to give up on all those things you have put much time and effort into. Things like relationships, happiness and love and a joyful life are all worth the effort. 

Deanna:  Do you hear from your readers much? What kinds of things do they say?

Kim:  I do hear from them all the time. I ask people to let me know how they are doing. I want them to keep going, keep searching. I want them to see the joy and happiness in my life and let them know that this too can be their reward when they do the work and find their “everything”.

I knew I had been successful when I received one very special note; it was one of the first letters I received shortly after the book was released. A wonderful woman explained that she did not think she could find happiness again, but that she had worked very hard and followed the book, writing page after page in her journal. She explained that she had never written her thoughts down before and after she began writing, she could more easily see  that she had been living a life of conditions. Her quote to me was “you have taken my life from ordinary to extraordinary and nothing changed but my thinking”. That was my moment.

Deanna: What would you like readers to go away with today?

Kim:  I would love people to understand their importance in the world and what a gift we have been given to be here.  Each of us was put here for a reason and if you truly believe that then suddenly everyone has value. Each of us needs to seek out for ourselves, in whatever way works best for us, that purpose and passion that lies within us. To find the answers to allow us to have our “everything” and inspires us to live our life with passion. To take the time to work on those things that you decide are most important to you.

Deanna:  What are your current projects?


Kim:  The second of the “All I Want is Everything” series on relationships is almost ready for editing and I have started to write the third book on raising children. I write a blog each week as well as numerous articles so those, along with promoting all my books, are what keeps me pretty busy.

Deanna:  Where can our readers find you and your books?

Kim:  I'd love them to visit my website and I'd like them to know that my books are also for purchase there. I will give a donation for each book purchased to Global Orphans Project.

To purchase my book on Amazon:


Deanna:  Kim, it's been a joy to have you here today. Readers, feel free to leave a comment, ask Kim a question, and also if you leave a comment and want to be in her drawing, please also be sure to leave your email address so she can contact you should you be the winner! Kim is giving away a signed copy of 'All I Want Is Everything'. Good luck and I hope all of you had fun meeting Kim. She will be around to answer your questions so check back often. Thanks to all of YOU for joining us today!