Thursday, August 5, 2010

Author Interview - Julie Achterhoff

Deanna: Thank you so much for stopping in to read more about Julie and the two books she has available right now to add to your book shelves. Grab your favorite beverage, sit back and enjoy! Julie, thank you so much for joining us here today. I'm excited for our readers to hear about your books but tell us a bit about YOU that your readers might not know.


 Julie: I was a homebirth midwife for 15 years. I delivered one of my own grandchildren four years ago. It was the most wonderful experience. I've given it up now since I write full-time now.

Deanna: What happened in your life that made you want to become a writer?

Julie: I think it was a natural progression from voracious reader to writer. I've always had a vivid imagination, and the outlet for that seems to be writing for me. I've also had a lot happen to me in my life, good and bad.

Deanna: Some authors use a pseudonym when they write. Do you write under a pen name?

Julie: No. Julie Achterhoff is my real name.

Deanna: I know some author enjoy creating their antagonist most. Is there a certain type of character that is easier to write than another?

Julie: I always find it easier to write about characters who have similar attributes to myself. I can relate to them much more easily. The harder ones are the monsters and evil creatures. What do I have in common with them?

Deanna: Do you read in the same genre that you write in?

Julie: I like many different types of genres to read, but I like to write paranormal stuff. I'm not sure why, but I write more like Dean Koontz than a mystery or historical fiction writer. My imagination just keeps turning in that direction.

Deanna: Who are some of your favorite writers?

Julie: I think my first love was Stephen King. He set my mind on fire and still does. I also love Meg Gardiner, Patricia Cornwell, and Dean Koontz. Lately I've been reading about Europe during the Middle Ages. I also love mysteries, but don't think my mind is made to put one together myself, although I would love to someday.

Deanna: What advice would you give to new writers?

Julie: I would tell them first of all to read everything they can, especially the genre they would like to write in. Start getting your platform together as soon as possible. Get your name and writing out there. Decide who you want the public to see you as. Get a mentor who has published books if you can. Even if they aren't a big name they will still have a lot to share about the ropes. I have a few up and coming writers who I enjoy encouraging any way I can. It makes me a better writer to teach others.

Deanna: What is Quantum Earth about?

Julie: It's about a team of metaphysical scientists who are trying to figure out why 2012 is the end of the Mayan calendar. They investigate hurricanes, tsunamis, volcanic eruptions, etc. and why they are escalating so fast. They even contact the dead. What they are trying to find out is if human thought is creating our reality. They find out more than they bargained for.

Deanna: What about Deadly Lucidity?

Julie: This is the story of a woman who has lucid dreams. She is aware of being in her dreams. But there is evil lurking in the shadows of her mind that she is just finding out about. Her dreams turn to nightmares and she can't stop them anymore. She gains an ally who lives in her night world. He helps her seek the Great Fortress where she can find her way back home. But her passion for this man is becoming greater than her wish to return to real life. So she has a decision to make.

Deanna: Are you currently writing anything?

Julie: I'm writing a new book, which is a paranormal romance. Something a bit different for me, but I am loving it. It's about a young woman who falls in love with a man from a planet of vampires. On his planet they are docile, feeding only on animals. But when he lives on Earth for a short time his animal nature begins to emerge. I've only written ten or so chapters, but am very pleased with it so far.

Deanna: Do you have a website where people can learn more about you and your writing?

Julie: Yes. It's http://earthwalkr.wordpress.com - I also do interviews with other writers on it. There's a lot of great talent out there!

Deanna: What else do you like to do for fun?

Julie: I like to hike, garden, watch good movies, swim, camp, and read, among other things. I think we should do as many fun things as we can in this world.

Deanna: Where can readers buy your books?

Julie: They are on amazon.com, along with some nice reviews. They can also be bought from my great publishers at All Things That Matter Press

Deanna: How do you like your publishers?

Julie: They are absolutely the greatest. It's a small press, but all their authors are a cozy group of around twenty. We even have our own yahoo group and blog tours for each other. I consider myself very lucky to be included in this talented group of authors. 

Deanna: Julie, again, thank you so much for being here today. Readers, we want to thank each of you for joining us here also.  Please feel free to chat in the comments with Julie. She'll be checking the message Thursday and Friday and will answer your questions.